Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Up and at 'em at 4AM

Today began at 4AM when Madison was the first to hit the ground running.  She got up to bake the 2 dozen cinnamon rolls we had to bring to the church breakfast, took her dog, Carlos out to go potty, and then went to the barn to feed the horses.  Yep, that's my girl!!

By 6:15 we had all piled into the car to head to church.  It started at 7AM but we had to get there a few minutes early to take the cinnamon rolls to the kitchen and then stake out a good seat.  The kids grabbed a handful of candy for the drive to church and the fights began.  Just the usual fights of he's breathing too loudly, she's singing like a dying cow, that's my headphones, give 'em back.....you  know, the standard complaints.  Half way thru church Madison realized the price tag was still on her new shirt and I had to dig around the inside of the back of her shirt to yank it off.  Jerome kept loudly announcing that he smelled something yucky, which was actually the Easter breakfast cooking downstairs and Thomas noticed a very attractive girl with a far too low cut blouse on and said, "Dad, look at her!"

By 8:45 we were home and settling into chores.  I've got to get going soon on getting our Easter dinner in the oven, but had to shared that if I died today, I could go to Heaven with a smile on my face and in my heart.  Marc and I and all the kids headed out to fix some horse fencing and it just happened that Richnigthder and I ended up at one fence post together, by ourselves, waiting for Marc to come back with a part.  We sat there in the middle of the field, just the two of us and laid back on the still brown grass and watched the clouds go by.  We laughed about what each of us thought the clouds looked like and for those few minutes, my life was utterly perfect.  I was there alone with my son on a gorgeously sunny day and the only sounds to be heard were the Sandhill cranes and our laughter.  Call it an Easter blessing, but I knew for sure in my heart, I was in the right place doing what I was supposed to do with my life.  I felt completely, utterly happy and content.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  How did I end up with these amazing kids?  2 of my kids came from far, far away and I know it took God and an angel or two to put us together.  So on this Easter, I hope you are able to find a small moment in time that reminds you of the glory this world has.  If I live to be 110 years old, I know I'll remember those few quiet moments spent with Richnightder under a sunny sky, on an Easter afternoon.

4 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

4am? Holy smokes, that's ambitious! The world is full of glory and I'm glad you shared your perfect moment and reminded me to stop and rest and look for the goodness around me...Happy Easter!

ScienceSauce said...

So glad you had a wonderful Easter, Geralyn! Thanks for sharing your glorious moment. Mine occurred while peeling potatoes for Easter dinner with my kids...I think it was the combination of their enthusiasm for helping and everyone's anticipation of a wonderful meal that made me think, I'm one LUCKY MAMA.

Sarah said...

Lovely post! What a great snapshot of a beautifully real life.
Happy Easter to you too! :)

Marty Walden said...

This is one of my favorite quotes: “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away” Great job in noticing that moment. They are the ones that get me through.