Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Friday, September 5, 2008

Looking ahead to the youth world show



Madison seems to have some natural talent when it comes to competing in horse shows. She started showing in leadline when she was 2 years old and then quickly moved on to the walk-trot classes. She rode my horse, Tommy an AQHA gelding in walk-trot classes until she was 8 years old and faught with him to get him to just walk and just trot instead of bursting into super-fast run-downs. Miraculously, she took year end high point that year and then started showing in the youth reining classes.


Kevin, our friend, neighbor and trainer who Madi travels with to some shows, had set her sights on merely completing the pattern in the ring and not to expect placing. Well her first show, 2 summers ago in Rapid City, SD she placed 3rd and had the audience standing and yelling cheering her on. SHe wowed the audience and obviously kicked some serious butt! That's my baby. Last season she continued to keep placing higher and higher against much older kids; I'm talking 13 to 18 year olds and captured a first place.


So with all that in mind, and a reduced show season this year because of our trip to Haiti and the expenses involved with that, she is planning on going to as many shows as we will get her to so she can try her little heart out, to win enough points that would qualify her for the youth world show. Now with all that said, Marc and I have no plans of her going to World at her age of 11 years. The entrance fees are STEEP and she would be riding against some serious competition and much older kids. I think we will wait until she is 13 and then let her have her fighting chance there.


I never get alone, quiet time. I just wanted to do a little blogging and in runs Thomas to show me his newest wound. He was running around barefoot and peeled the skin off the tip of his big toe. Nothing gruesome by Thomas standards, but painful just to look at. Now that it is clean, he is sitting next to me on the couch, flicking the huge flap of skin back and forth. I think when he goes to sleep tonight, I will sneak in and cut the piece of skin off. Yucky to look at and yucky to watch him fiddle with the remnants of what was momentarily ago attached to his body. Boys are so groddy. And just think I will have two more of these fun little creatures in my house to pester me and gross me out with their "boyness."

1 comment:

Tifanni said...

I hope Madi kicks butt when she makes it to world. Good Luck