Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Sunday, September 14, 2008

I want a Sheltie

When I was a little girl we had a Sheltie named Lina. She was a wonderful, sweet little dog and was very protective of me as a baby and toddler. When we moved to the farm, my mom would tell Lina to "Watch the baby!" and Lina would dutifully keep me confined to a small area of the yard. She had a litter of puppies when I was about 6 years old and we kept one of those puppies that I named Lassie. I know, how original but I was only 6. Lina died when I was 8 years old and Lassie was run over by the UPS man in our driveway when I was in 8th grade. I knew something was wrong when he wasn't waiting at the end of the driveway when I got off the school bus.

So fast forward 30 years and here I am looking to add to our family by adding a puppy to our chaos. Now we don't take adding pets lightly here. A pet is for life and it is our job to ensure it is healthy and kept safe from harm. But the point I am trying to make is that there really is no rhyme or reason to my madness of wanting another animal at this point in our life. All I know is that I am searching for a reputable and ethical breeder of Shelties somewhere in the upper Midwest.

Pebbles, our Rottweiler is a very friendly dog and won't mind having a new addition and Chowder, our Chow Chow mix is friendly too, albeit a little whacked. See, Chowder has separation anxiety and has to take Prozac everyday to help him from becoming so panicky that he bangs his head into the wall until he is unconscious. Yes, he is high maintenance. We took him to a doggy psychologist in Portland who told us that our dog was clinically depressed and suicidal. NO JOKE. How bad can life be in our house if the dog is trying to kill himself? So that is why he takes Prozac everyday. Bad part about that is that I have to go to CVS pharmacy to fill the prescription and when I pick it up, they always ask for the patients name and when I say Chowder, they look at me all weird. I tell them it is my dog, which usually gets an even odder reaction.

So if anyone out there that may stumble upon my blog, knows of any reputable and ethical Sheltie breeders, let me know. I defintely want a female and will get her spayed. I am not going to have a litter of adorable puppies and crying kids because they can't part with them. Guess that explains why I have 4 rabbits when we only started with two.

I am off to clean stalls, rabbit cages and litter boxes. Wow, I do have a lot of fun on the weekends. And this after having taught Sunday school this morning. God, I am such a good woman. And humble too! Geez, I hope God is watching and remembers all the good things I do and rewards me with peace and quiet. Actually, I'd just settle for my kids coming home soon from Haiti and bringing their own baggage of chaos.

3 comments:

Tifanni said...

That dog on prozac is hilarious. What have you done to it :)
My mom's dog takes phenylbartatol, and the pharmicist always calls for "Friggles" :)

The Bergstedt's said...

My aunt raised Boston's in Great Falls, MT and knows all the breeders in the NW. She would give you a name and number. Cindy 406-788-4250 She is very picky and only works with great breeders.

Love the Prozac story!!

Thomas said...

Thanks. I will give her a call later on today. I think I found a breeder in South Dakota, but I want to make sure she is an ethical breeder. Thanks again.