I am one of the luckiest people alive. I don't often get to say that, but in this case it is true.
Tuesday afternoon was an ordinary day; kids doing school work and me shoving a load of laundry in between assignments. The kids had worked their way out of the classroom up to the family room where I had turned the fireplace on. Who doesn't love a flip-of-the-switch fire that warms the room and adds a little ambience. Thomas was sitting on the hearth doing his math and had placed a decorative couch pillow behind his back. I was sitting on the couch a mere 4 feet away reading about ancient neo-lithic civilizations for Madi's history lesson. Thomas blurts out in pure Thomas fashion, " My back is so hot it feels like it is on fire." To which i replied with a smart-ass, "Well, then move." When he moved away, I could smell something burning. I went to the fireplace and when I pulled the pillow away from the glass front, I couldn't see that the stuffing in the pillow had started melting. Unfortunately, I stuck my right hand directly into the melting/liquid stuffing. It attached to my fingers like lava and began to burn like crazy. I ran to to the kitchen and ran it under cold water, but I had to wait for the stuffing that had melted to my finger to cool before I could pull it off my fingers.
I feel we must have had a house full of angels standing by, because literally, that pillow was seconds from bursting into flames. I also thankful that it only burned me and not Thomas. I would have felt guilt the rest of my life if that had happened. Marc says I look like Freddy Kruger now with my fingers all bandaged up. A fun trip to the ER revealed 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Some fun pain killer drugs have helped take the edge off the pain, but also make me so loopy that I am not quite sure what I am teaching the kids. I could not care less if my hand has scars from this, I am just so thankful that my kids weren't hurt and the house is still standing.
Now I need to take another pill and get even loopier!!