Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Friday, June 25, 2010

I cannot believe I actually just said this to my son

Sometimes things are said that could be taken in a whole different light if you are not privileged to witness the entire event. Such is what happened a few minutes ago right here in our own humble abode.

Jerome has discovered a love of crackers....all crackers, Ritz Bitz, Wheat Thins, Saltines,etc. Marc was in the kitchen and Jerome and I were in the hallway when I witnessed Jerome shoveling saltines by the handful into his rather small mouth. What I said next, brought Marc out of the kitchen shouting "What did you just say?" Ok, ok, what I said really sounded bad, but was definetly not meant in a derogatory way. I simply said to Jerome, " You have anymore of those and you will officially be a cracker."

For those of you not in the racist comment loop, cracker is a derogatory term used to refer to white people. So there you have it. A mother of 4 black children making an off-the-cuff comment regarding her child's snack choice and it sounds like I am some antiquated, back-woodsie, red-neck mama. UGH!

1 comment:

Tifanni said...

Really, have you been hanging out with Mike's relatives watching Nascar and eating pig's feet :)