Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Sunday, August 7, 2011

4 stitches and not a tear, pout, or whimper

Madison and I went shopping at Sam's Club today and only ended up filling one flatbed cart.  We thought we did a great job being frugal and just getting the necessities such as Chips Ahoy cookies, ice cream bars, Ritz bitz crackers....you know....the basics!  We had just checked out when my phone rang and it was Marc asking if I had received the picture he sent me. 

I hadn't gotten any pics so he explained that he wanted me to look at a cut on Richnigthder's elbow he had gotten falling off his bike while trying to pull a 'Napoleon Dynamite' move.  Seems my two older boys were trying to jump their bikes over some homemade jumps which were made of 2x4's, 4x4's and some rusty nails and screws.  The pics would not come thru so I just headed for home as quickly as I could.  Of course I instantly got diarrhea on the trip home since I let Madison drive and there were numerous construction zones to pass thru.  Oh the struggles of being a mother!

We made it home and as soon as I saw his cut....actually it was more like a tear....I knew he'd need stitches.  Madison unloaded the car, took the groceries inside and watched Thomas and Jerome while Marc and I headed to the ER.  Of course the walk in urgent care clinic closed at 4PM so we had to go to the ER and wait awhile as there were two life flight victims of car accidents brought into trauma.  Richnigthder was an ALL STAR ROCK STAR!  They used a needle to numb the area around the tear and he watched and never batted an eye.  Then the doctor, who looked as young as Doogie Howser, sewed him up with Richnigthder watching intently.  My kid is da bomb!

We stopped at Dairy Queen and he got an extra large Butterfinger Blizzard and then pressed on to Little Caesar's for take home pizza.  All I can say is that they must grow them tough in Haiti.  Richnigthder is still denying any pain even though I know it must be throbbing.  He made this mom so proud.  Not proud because he was stoic, but because he is so thoroughly attached and trusting to know that we were looking out for him and taking care of him, even if it meant pain in the form of stitches.  I love my kid for being so brave and for trusting us so completely. 

Aside from the trip to the ER today and the near visit to the ER yesterday with Thomas and a possible broken nose, it's just been another normal weekend at our house.  Thankfully we have ice cream bars and cookies to ease all the boo-boo's!~  Bring on Monday.....I can take it!

No comments: