Samuel Jerome and Richnightder

Samuel Jerome and Richnightder
Our boys in Haiti

Monday, November 8, 2010

So which is it? Supper or dinner?

When we moved to North Dakota 7 years ago, I was suprised to hear people refer to the meal typically consumed in the evening as 'supper'.  I had rarely heard that expression before.  I had always refered to the evening meal as dinner.

So which is it people?  Is it more commonly called supper or dinner?  Is it a regional thing?

Marc went to the doctor today for his ankle and he does seem to have a small bone chip pulled away with the tendons and ligaments.  He's supposed to keep it wrapped and give it light exercise.  All I can say, is that the doctors expect people to buck up and be hearty and stoic here!

A disjointed post at best, but I am feeling as though my karma is massively off.  I keep throwing out positive, happy energy and keep attracting negativity.  Today Thomas has had a horrible, terrible, rotten day.  He seemed incapable of focusing;seemed angry and argumentative and had a complete lack of respect for everyone, including himself.  I know this is part of having a language disorder which makes it hard for him to interpret social cues, but man 'o man, was today a tough day.

I knew if I posted about how fortunate I felt to have my 4 sweet kids, that one of them would prove the normalcy of our life by displaying crappy behavior.  Today was a rough day with Thomas and that energy flowed over to everyone else in the household.  Amazing how one person's off day, can affect everyone else and totally throw off any chance of a productive homeschool day.  I can't quite figure out what is eating at Thomas, but something is weighing heavily on his mind.  I just wish he could articulate his feelings verbally rather than acting out with lousy, destructive behavior.

All I can add at this point is that the worst days of homeschooling are by far, still much better than the best days of public school.  I promise I won't complain too much, but days like today sure make me see how hard some things are for Thomas to grasp and how he struggled with concepts in public school.  Yeah, today was hard for me.  Frustrating.  Infuriating.  Sad.  I know Madison, Adam, and Jerome were affected too, but if it's like this for me, I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like for Thomas.

He's quietly reading a book which he has to for school, but at least he's quiet and self-soothing.  Now there's a line from a movie.  You know what I'm talking about.  In the movie Meet the Focker's,  Robert DeNiro's character tells Greg Focker that the baby is "Being Ferberized and learnign to self soothe."  If you haven't seen the movie, you have to since it is really funny and for those that have seen it already, you know what I'm talking about.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....I gotta run and stop this disorganized diatribe.  Should I hit the publish button or not?  What the hell, I'll do it and let people see the chaos inside my itty bitty brain. :)

1 comment:

Tifanni said...

Hang in there. Yesterday was one of those days for us too. It must be contagious, but we sat down to supper and then it was all better. Seriously, the we only have dinner on holidays or at restaurants. Regular food is supper.